Happy Earth Day! Today many of us are even more focused than usual on ways to help preserve our planet. One way we can help is buying earth-friendly pet products. In Pets Gone Green: Live a More Eco-Concious Life with Your Pets, author Eve Adamson recommends asking these questions when choosing products for our pets:
- Is it well made and durable? Does it look like it will last or fall apart after just a few minutes of play?
- When no longer usuable, can the product be recycled? What about the product packaging, is it recyclable?
- Is the product made from recycled materials? Is the packaging made from recycled material?
- Are the sources of the products material readily available? If you call the company for more information, do you feel employees are honest with you?
- Is it produced sustainably? Are the materials the product is made from renewable, such as bamboo, hemp, cork or organic cotton?
- If the product goes into your pet’s mouth (toys, food or treats) are you sure it’s organic or comes from all-natural ingredients?
- Is this product’s manufacturing process more earth-friendly than similar products? Does the manufacturer use wind or solar power? Electric rather than gas?
- Is it local or regional? Did the product travel less than halfway across the country to get to you?
- Is it cruelty free, with no animal testing? Did people suffer to make it? For a list of companies designated as cruelty free, check out leapingbunny.org
- Does the company contribute to charities or participate in other activities to give back to the earth or animal causes?
Yes, it’s a lot of questions, but asking even a portion of them will help you make more informed, earth-friendly product choices for you and your pet.