Today is World Pet Memorial Day, a time to honor pet friends we’ve had, loved and lost.
Those of us that have lost a pet can attest to the pain it brings, but finding a way to honor him can help you work through the grieving process.
Here are some suggestions for honoring your pet’s memory:
- Make a donation to local pet shelter or rescue group in your pet’s name
- Plant a tree, flower bed or bush as a living memorial
- Frame a picture of your pet and put it in a special place
- Create a scrapbook or collage with pictures of your pet
- Establish a scholarship in your pet’s name to help students planning to attend veterinary school
- Create a website or Facebook page as a tribute. I started fullyfeline.com to honor my cat Bo. Many people establish Facebook pages in honor of their deceased pet.
- Write an obituary. This may sound odd, but it can help you work through the grieving process and document your feelings about the loss of your pet.
- If your pet is buried in your yard, consider purchasing an engraved stone marker honoring your pet.
- Have a portrait painted of your pet. It’s amazing how lifelike portraits can be, and it can be more personal than a photograph.
- Put your pet’s tags on your keychain. Doing this will feel like your pet is going everywhere with you, and will be an easy way to remember him since you have your keys with you pretty much all the time.
- Adopt a new pet. This one can be a bit touchy, since everyone deals with grief differently. In my case, I was so devastated when Bo passed away, I didn’t know that I’d ever be able to live with another cat. As it turned out, though, I learned of a cat that was in danger of being euthanized within a few days. It had been only two months since Bo’s passing, and I didn’t feel ready. This new cat was everything I’d decided I wanted if I ever adopted again. Suddenly, it dawned on me that Bo would want me to help another cat in need, so I adopted my cat Marty and he’s been with me ever since.
Losing a pet is so very difficult, but honoring your pet’s memory will help keep him alive in your heart forever.