Today is International Cat Day, we love i! Yes, we love them, but there are still many things to learn about our feline friends. I found these interesting cat facts and thought I’d share:
- British Shorthairs have such good temperament and high intelligence, they are often cast in movies and TV commercials because they’re so easy to train.
- Cats are the only group of true carnivores left on earth, eating an almost exclusive meat diet.
- The word “tabby” is derived from a neighborhood in Baghdad called Attabiyah. The tabby cat’s markings resemble the pattern of striped silk made in that area.
- Cleopatra’s cat was thought to be the inspiration for the way the queen adorned her face with paint and other decorations.
- Chubby cats sleep longer than slimmer ones. When a chubby cat starts losing weight, he will sleep less.
- In the late 1940’s, a cat named Mincha climbed a 40 foot tree and stayed there for six years.She had three litters of kittens while living in the tree, and people fed her by attaching food to long poles.
- Siamese cats often suffer from double vision because of positioning of nerves in the brain that control eyesight. When suffering from double vision, some cats cross their eyes attempting to solve the problem.
- When cats walk, they move both left feet, then both right feet. The only other animals to walk this same way are camels and giraffes.
- Blind cats sweep their heads from side to side when walking so they can use their whiskers similar to the way a blind person uses a cane.
- Cats mature faster physically than mentally. A cat is physically considered adult by one year of age, but may take another year to begin behaving as an adult.
What do you have planned to celebrate cats this International Cat Day?
Source: Amazing Cat Facts and Trivia by Tammy Gagne