Are you feeling a bit stressed, tense or even depressed? Have the blues got you down? While we are not suggesting that this advice take precedence over any issue that may require the care and advice of a physician/trained professional, we do want to offer that studies have shown benefits of pet ownership include reducing tension in your life and improving your mood! How awesome is that?
The folks at webmd.com have some great information about the benefits of pet ownership:
- While relationships with other humans can prove to be complicated at times, with a pet, you can just feel. There is no fear of judgment, ridicule or shame.
- Even though pets are a responsibility, it is the type of responsibility that can help your depression, as it adds a new and positive focus to your life. Taking care of a pet can make you feel important and valued and to the pet, you truly are the cat’s meow!
- Are the blues keeping you from getting up and about? You need more activity when feeling down and a pet can get you going in that direction. Every dog needs a good walk and physical exercise is a great way to improve your mental health.
- When you are depressed, you can tend to isolate yourself. With a pet, you are never alone, and what a difference that can make!
- A pet also adds routine to your life. He needs to be fed, groomed, and in the case of dogs, walked. He depends on you.
- Studies have shown that people feel better when they have physical contact with others. Pets can help in that regard. There is something calming and relaxing about petting a dog or having a cat on your lap. This can sometimes even lower your heart rate!
So, if you want more of those “feel good” chemicals in your brain and in your body, then turn to your pet! Although we are a little partial toward cats, dogs make great companions too.
This post was originally posted on our sister site, myjoyofliving.com