- Slippers: This cat was a favorite of President Theodore Roosevelt. Slippers was quite arrogant, and he demonstrated this trait during a state banquet. An entire group of diplomats had to detour around the cat because the cat had fallen asleep in the hallway.
- Tom Kitten: Tom was the pet of President John Kennedy’s daughter, Caroline. The President was allergic to the cat so he had to be rehomed. At an auction of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis’ estate, a framed photo of Tom sold for an amazing $13,000!
- Myobu No Omoto: This feline was the pet of Japanese emperor Ichijo (980-1011). The emperor cared so much for the cat that he imprisoned the owner of a dog that had chased Myobu.
- Micetto: This tabby was born in the Vatican and became the favorite of Pope Leo XII. Allegedly, when the Pope would hold audiences, Micetto hid in the Pope’s robes.
- White Heather: This cat was Queen Victoria’s favorite. White Heather outlived Victoria and became the property of King Edward VII, the Queen’s son and successor.
For more cat stories about famous felines, check out 100 Cats Who Changed Civilization by Sam Stall, available on Amazon.