We posted some Earth Day tips for pets on our sister site, myjoyofliving.com and thought we’d share them, along with a couple new ones, here. Check out these ways to live greener on Earth Day and every day:
- Doing some spring cleaning? Instead of tossing out those old blankets, towels, pet toys, litter boxes, and/or pet bedding supplies, contact a local pet shelter and see if they could use some donations.
- Opt for filtered water instead of bottled water for your pets. If you must use bottled water, please be sure to recycle the bottles!
- Consider using biodegradable litter rather than clay. Clay does not decompose, so it will simply sit in landfills. Using biodegradable litter, and disposing of it in paper rather than plastic bags increases the possibility of it going back to the earth. Some eco-friendly litters include: Swheat Scoop, Feline Pine, and World’s Best Cat Litter.
- Repurpose old socks to make new pet toys. Stuff an old sock with catnip and sew up the end, your cat will love batting it around!
- Make your own cleaning products. Opt for baking soda as a carpet cleaner rather than buying commercial carpet cleaning powder. It’s cheaper and pet friendly too! For an economical all-purpose cleaner, put equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and shake. Economical, no harmful chemicals and pet-friendly!
If you have any fun and amazing “green” pet tips to share with us, please let us know! For more tips on living more eco-consicious with your pet, check out Pets Gone Green: Live a More Eco-Concious Life with Your Pets available from Amazon.