Thank goodness it’s Friday! Spring is finally here, and it seems like a good time to keep things light, so here are some fun feline facts compiled by my cat Marty, and originally shared on our sister site, myjoyofliving.com. Don’t be taken aback by Marty’s commentary, he’s got a strong feline point of view!
- Cats can sense earthquakes. They can feel the earth’s subtle vibrations through their footpads.
- Cats can swallow and digest without even chewing! Amazing, huh? As for me, well, I prefer to chew and savor the moment. No sense letting a good mouse go to waste!
- Cats are very manipulative….like you didn’t already know that…and can adapt their vocalizations to control YOU! Yep! If I want food, I just cry a bit louder. Works like a charm.
- Cats can also dream. Although we prefer to nap, there are times when we can drift into deep slumber and fall into a dream state much like humans. And if you were to inquire about my dreams, I can honestly say most have something to do with de-throning that annoying canine with which I share this home.
- Cats do not respond well to punishment. In fact, we don’t even understand it when you employ such a measure. Instead, opt for praise and reward when it comes to getting the desired behavior out of us. Go ahead. Try me!
- While humans shake hands with those they meet and with whom they are familiar, cats prefer to bump noses. While we do not do this with strange or unfamiliar cats, we do it with those we know. It’s is kind of like your verbalization of “Hey! What’s up!”
- We love to purr, and you know that already, but some researchers believe that the purring hails not from the throat but from the cardiovascular system. I’ll never tell!
- And if you want to keep your cat’s teeth and gums healthy, give him a piece of raw meat on which to chew, preferably some rabbit, poultry or deboned beef. Do it! Now! I am waiting!