He was named after creator Jim Davis’ grandfather, James Garfield Davis. Jim Davis decided to start a strip starring a cat after noticing the majority of comics with animals were dogs. In 1978, the Garfield strip debuted in 41 newspapers, and now appears in more than 2,500 publications. Garfield has been the inspiration for two television series and two feature length movies.
Ever the feline philosopher, here are a few quotes from the esteemed cat himself:
- I’m not over-weight, I’m under-tall.
- Never trust a smiling cat.
- The meek shall inherit squat.
- I’m not messy. I’m organizationally challenged!
- Avoid fruits and nuts: after all, you are what you eat.
- If you want to look thinner, hang around people fatter than you.
- If you are patient…and wait long enough…Nothing will happen!
- Show me a good mouser, and I’ll show you a cat with bad breath.
- Eat every meal as though it were your last.
- I hate Mondays.
Thank you, Garfield, for being the spokescat for felines everywhere!
Image Source: free-extras.com