My cat, Marty, is a regular “contributor” to the blog on our sister site, myjoyofliving.com. He, like those of us here at Fully Feline, wants to change the perception of felines. Cats aren’t the uncaring, aloof creatures many people believe them to be, but rather caring and discerning souls that choose their loved ones carefully.
Marty wrote this recent blog post to educate humans on ways cats show us affection.
How can you tell if your cat loves you? We are mysterious creatures…independent, feisty, demanding, entitled…you name it. We also enjoy being pampered and adored. However, how do you know when we are returning the love in kind?
Here are five ways cats show us affection:
- Does she rub up against you? When your cat rubs on or head butts you, that is her signal of claiming you as her own. She is leaving her scent on you and marking her turf! Cats also like to touch noses to show you they like you.
- Does she opt to sit on you or beside you? We love warm sleeping places, such as a comfy lap; the back of the couch near your head; or on your computer keyboard while you are trying to work. Inconvenient for you at times? Yes, but when your cat chooses to be right next to you over being somewhere very comfortable, she adores you!
- Will your cat hold eye contact with you and share a blink? If so, it’s love! Cats do not like eye contact, but they will make it and sustain it with people they know, like and trust. Consider yourself among the beloved if she does this with you.
- Does your cat bring you gifts and surprises? Have you ever been on the receiving end of a dead mouse or grasshopper? Has your cat left such a little gift on your pillow or on your bed? If so, you rock in her eyes!
- Then there is that soothing purring sound, which is indicative of friendliness. It’s that special kind of purr that is literally music to your ears singing softly to you, “Ahh, I love you!”
Does your cats have other ways to show you affection? If so, please leave a comment to let us know.