This post was originally posted on our sister site, myjoyofliving.com. It is written from the feline perspective, primarily my cat Marty.
The question I offer today is this: Does your cat secretly hate you? There are signals in cat behavior that might indicate some disdain for you, or, at the very least, that he is just being sarcastically playful with you.
- Do you get hairball presents? Cats have to do this, and you might feel your cat is doing it in places you might step. Cats might cough up a hairball on carpet that is well traversed because (1) it has a familiar scent and (2) it provides the necessary traction by which to regurgitate, as that requires a lot of muscle action!
- Does your cat miss the litter box or mark his territory in places outside of the litter box? Most likely the litter box just needs to be cleaned out more often. Plus, cats are natural predators and like to mark their territory.
- Does your cat pick a fight with you? Does he hiss, swipe at you or spit at you? He is either angry at you, afraid of you, or simply telling you he will NOT move from his position in the sunlight from which you are trying to nudge him away! Other reasons for the hissing and swiping could mean that you might have changed your usual scent or perhaps your cat is ill or injured. If the aggressive behavior continues, check it out with your veterinarian.
- Are you the recipient of dead prey? Consider that a gift of love more than a practical joke. It is your cat’s way of showing affection and love towards you.
- Is your cat in your face frequently? Does he rub up against you, hop in your lap, or lounge across your computer keyboard while you are trying to work? He most likely is showing you that he needs some love and affection. Take a few minutes to play with him and then lure him away with a treat.
So there you have it. Your cat is just wanting to be understood and appreciated for the great being he is!