Cats have a tendency to not drink enough water, which often leads to kidney and bladder issues. Feeding canned cat food helps cats get more liquid, or adding water or broth to kibble. Another option to consider is a cat water fountain.
The cat water fountain is a good option because it keeps water circulating so it doesn’t tend to become “stale”, and the motion of the water tends to grab the interest of cats.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission on goods purchased via these3 links, at no additional cost to you.
There are many size and materials to choose from when shopping for a cat water fountain. Below are some of the best rated and most popular fountains to consider:
- Pros-This is a top of the line fountain. It’s made of ceramic so doesn’t harbour bacteria as much as plastic sometimes tends to do. zit holds up to 70 oz., which makes it a good option for multi-pet households. Has two dining streams to allow more than one pet at a time to drink.
- Cons-Since this fountain is made of ceramic, it’s quite heavy/ Also, it is breakable. I had one of these for my cat Marty, and when a book fell off a shelf about the fountain, the book ht the pagoda and broke it. Pricewise, it’s on the higher end of the scale, this one is $65.95
- Pros: Has stainless steel drinking surface to lessen risk of bacteria accumulation. Has battery backup so will continue running even is electricity goes off.Fountains shuts off automatically if water level gets too low.
- Cons: Higher end of price list ($59.99). Can be a pick tricky to clean.Does not have multiple drinking streams which may not work as well for multi-pet households.
- Pros-Made of Stainless steel, easy to clean and will not harbour bacteria.Has 67 oz/ capacity so good for multiplet households. It’s BPA Free and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- Cons-Price on the higher end of the scale ($40.75)
- Pros-This model has a stainless steel top drinking surface. It’s easy to clean, is dishwasher safe. Included:3 filters, a silicone mat to sit the fountain on, and 2 cleaning brushes. Has indicator on front to monitor water level, and auto shutoff to prevent running with low water level. Quick set up and disassembly for cleaning. Lower price point ($26.099)
- Cons-Don’t really have any. This is a good starter fountain and comes with supplies to last for a while after purchase.
- Pros-This is the fountain I currently have for my cat Marty. It doesn’t take up much room and is very quiet. Made of BPA free resin, is easy to clean and set up. Has 3 different flow designs to customise for pet’s preference. Comes with a silicone mat to sit fountain on, and 3 replacement filters. Good starter fountain and budget friendly price (26.99).
- Cons-Doesn’t have water level monitoring or auto shut-off when water runs low. Must remove top to check water levels and refill.
Water fountains are a good way to increase your cat’s water intake. The fountains I’ve mentioned here are a few of the models available, so consider the needs of your pets when making a selection.