Choosing a healthy cat means looking a little further that which one is the cutest. Although it may be difficult to ignore the tugs your heart feels, it is important to consider the following tips when choosing a family pet. It will help a great deal in ensuring the new cat you take home is as healthy as can be.
- Look closely at the cat’s eyes to make sure there doesn’t appear to be any type of discharge at the edge of the eyelids or at the corners. A healthy kitten will have eyes that are clear and bright.
- No matter how adorable a cat or kitten may be, if there appears to be any signs of weakness it could very well be a sign of sickness. A healthy cat will be responsive to your attention, playful and very lively.
- A runny nose is also a warning sign that can alert you to the possibility that the cat may be suffering from a sickness. It is important to always check to make sure the nose is dry.
- When you notice that a kitten is extremely thin it could be a warning sign that the animal has worms or any number of other costly health problems. Cats that are extremely overweight can also suffer from a variety of health disorders. For this reason, it is important to make sure the kitten you are considering is not overweight or underweight.
- The tail of the kitten and the area around the anus should be clean and dry. Redness or swelling is signs of inflammation and an indication of health issues that will need to be treated.
- It is also important to check the ears for ear mites and the skin for signs of fleas. These are problems that are fairly common in animals that go outdoors and are generally inexpensive to treat.