There are some very odd laws on the books, and every once in a while it’s fun to bring them to light. Our sister site, myjoyofliving.com often features my dog Jessie as a guest writer. Below is a post written by Jessie as she puts her unique spin on some strange cat laws.
I am all in favor of laws that affect cats. As I was doing some online research today, I came across bandofcats.com and found a list of laws that have been on the books for years and are geared most notably towards cats. Take a peek and then tilt your head in dog-like fashion as they tickle your curiosity. Again, many of these are old laws and I doubt they carry much weight today. Still, some may apply to the most judicious of people who are willing to enforce them.
- All black cats must wear bells on Friday the 13th in French Lick Springs, Indiana.
- Joint custody of a family pet, including cats, is not allowed when two people divorce in Madison, Wisconsin. The cat is legally awarded to the individual who happens to have possession of said pet at the time of the initial separation.
- Cats in International Falls, Minnesota are banned from chasing dogs up telephone poles. (Yes, this one made me laugh! Like I would run up a telephone pole. I have a cell phone. The only thing I run up is the bill!)
- Cats and dogs are prohibited from fighting in Barber, North Carolina.
- Cats residing in Cresskill, New Jersey must wear bells to warn birds of their whereabouts.
- If you are a cat living in Duluth, Minnesota, never fall asleep in a bakery. Not allowed!
- If you reside in Zion, Illinois, please refrain from giving a lighted cigar to a cat.
- California law forbids cats from mating publicly within 1500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship.